It is imperative to select the right PCB fabrication and assembly service as this choice can make a huge difference to the project by providing high quality PCB, reducing turnaround time as well as optimizing costs. On the other hand, it can be extremely frustrating to realize that the manufacturer that you have chosen is either unable to fulfill the turnaround time or has sub standard products to offer that can cost you your brand reputation.
To partner with the right provider, it is important to first ascertain your own needs. Even before one looks at the considerations to choose the right partner, it will be worthwhile to figure out the levels of manufacturing available:
This service is useful when what you require is just fabrication and not assembly of components. With this option, however, you need to be comfortable with procuring parts on your own as well as assembling the board.
PCB fabrication and assembly
This option has the added advantage of getting the partner to fabricate the PCB as well as assemble it, while you provide the components.
Turnkey PCB Manufacturing
When availing of turnkey facilities, you are relieved of the responsibilities of procuring components. In this case the PCB manufacturer offers you ready to use PCBs. This facility assures you of quick turnaround times besides taking away the hassle of procuring materials.
Over and above this, there is also the possibility of availing of box build services where you can be assured of complete systems including PCBs with their parts and enclosures.
Aspects to consider when shortlisting PCB Fabrication & Assembly Service
Quality is certain to top your charts when it comes to PCBs. It is important to remember that if you are dealing with only a PCB fabrication USA, service, quality components aren’t his responsibility. Similarly, if you are opting for fabrication and assembly services, again sourcing components are your responsibility. It is only if you are opting for turnkey manufacturing, that the PCB manufacturer is responsible for the entire finished product.
Either way, it is imperative for you to check:
- What quality control and testing methods are being deployed
- Do the quality management systems adhere to industry norms and certifications?
- Do the boards meet the IPC standards?
With time to market being a key source of competitive advantage, turnaround time is of essence. You, therefore, need to check with the manufacturer for the following aspects:
- The standard turnaround being offered by the manufacturer
- Is this time inclusive of design validation
- If there are any design changes, do the timelines budget for that?
- Are the timelines inclusive of delivery times
Cost is likely to be another aspect that could be crucial for the success of the project. In evaluating the cost, however, you need to account for the fact that in case you are opting for the fabrication only option, what are the additional costs that you have to incur in procuring components and in assembly. It will also be worthwhile to check the following:
- Is the cost inclusive of a Design for manufacturing report?
- For turnkey options, is the cost inclusive of concierge services to procure components that aren’t easily available?
- Is the cost inclusive of testing costs?
- Are Non-recurring engineering costs, accounted for?
The level of support offered by the contract manufacturer is also crucial to be ascertained. To this end, you need to delve into it in some detail, especially since support cannot sit like a line item the way costs do, in a spreadsheet. It is important, therefore to seek the following clarifications with the manufacturer:
- Availability of support team
- Their level of expertise
- Point of contact
- Turnaround time for queries
Last, but definitely not the least, it is important to ascertain the level of technical expertise of the contract manufacturer. Some of the areas to look at include:
- Does the manufacturer have a specialized technical team with the requisite knowledge and industry experience?
- Does he have the necessary expertise and experience when it comes specifically to your industry vertical?
It is essential to weigh in on the above factors before you make your choice. A quality turnkey PCB service will ensure the following:
- Ensure quick turnaround times
- Ensure BOM verifications
- Source reliable components
- Ensure PCB quality
- Provide reliable support
Mermar Electronics has over 40 Years of Experience in providing full range of PCB Fabrication and PCB Manufacturing Service throughout the United States. Whether you require small to large production, Mermar Electronics excel in delivering Consistent Quality, On-Time and On-Budget PCB Fabrication Services in USA.
If you have any queries regarding to our products or services or need an urgent assistance, then please don’t hesitate to contact our team of skilled personnel’s. Send us an email with your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org.