Pros and Cons of PCB Manufacturing in the USA During COVID-19 Pandemic!
COVID-19 has impacted our lives in more ways than one. What started out as a health crisis has also significantly impacted the way we do business. From remote working to decreased reliance on offshore manufacturing, the impact of the pandemic is far-reaching.
When it comes to the PCB Manufacturing industry, the situation caused by the pandemic is a stark reminder of the fact that reliance on offshore manufacturing can prove to be detrimental with supplies getting unexpectedly disrupted. If on the other hand, one was to go with a PCB Manufacturer USA, the possibility of supplies being held up in a crisis situation is that much lower. Of course at the peak of the pandemic, production may have been in abeyance everywhere, however if you are relying on an off shore production, you also tend to suffer on account of shipping and other logistics leading to substantial delays, even when production resumes.
There are also a whole lot of other benefits that accrue from on-shore production beyond the worldwide health crisis. Notable among them are:
Product Design and Development
With a local PCB Manufacturing service, the big advantage that accrues is in terms of product design and development. The onsite engineering teams of the local manufacturer will ensure that necessary inputs are provided at the design stage itself and that the design is optimized for production. Also they will be able to review the component selection to make sure that the parts that are needed are available.
When it comes to prototype development, speed of operation is crucial. A local manufacturer being in the same time zone will turn out to be far more efficient to ensure your prototype is in order and any new product introductions are made swiftly. The ability to respond quickly to your needs means that precious time isn’t wasted in back and forth communication and that time-to-market is expedited.
- What is also advantageous when it comes to PCB Manufacturing USA, is that a local manufacturer has a vast network of component PCB manufacturers who can provide quality products within a short time-frame.
By contrast, if you were to rely on an off-shore manufacturer, in times of the pandemic or otherwise, you tend to face the following roadblocks:
- Communication in different time zones is a definite challenge. More so, when clear communication can make or break your product.
- For prototypes and new product design especially, design and development remotely can lead to many hiccups.
- Sourcing of components and materials isn’t something that is in your control as opposed to local manufacturing where there is a lot more control over the boards.
- There is also the fear of prices varying on account of local issues and impacting your budgets
- Shipping cost and timelines can further add to the teething issues.
- In addition, with the Coronavirus pandemic, there is the added fear in ordering products from overseas due to contamination and plant closures.
While electronics manufacturers need to work with large mass facilities overseas, it is equally important to engage with a quality PCB Manufacturing service, California that can offer quick turnaround time. This not only holds for unforeseen circumstances that interfere with offshore manufacturing, but also during regular times. With an existing relationship with a local PCB contract manufacturer, you can rest assured of quality prototype and NPI services. You can have the local manufacturer work on your Bill of Materials, review your design to see in case there are any Design for Manufacturing violations and make recommendations. Additionally, in case, there are problems overseas that affect the mass production of your boards, your local PCB Manufacturer can step in at a short notice.
At Mermar, we are a one-stop shop for a range of PCB solutions. Whether you are looking for PCB prototyping, assembly or fabrication, you can be sure of getting the highest quality standards that are RoHS compliant. Consistent product quality, quick turnaround times and excellent customer service are some of our hallmarks. The ability to understand the bespoke needs of our customers is what ensures that whether you need a simple board or a complex multilayer board, you will not be let down.
Want to Get Your PCB Assembled from Mer-Mar Electronics? Send us inquiry to Get a Quick Quote based on your custom requirements.